Young adult t1d diagnosis

Dorie, you are not being nosey. You are so kind. I’m at a loss. B

Hi @Mombeth4pat My daughter was diagnosed in 2021, just before her 19th birthday. I’d love to connect with you. It’s such a struggle to watch someone you love try to come to terms with this lifetime disease. My daughter does have a therapist, but is still struggling. I think she’s past anger and denial, but certainly nowhere near acceptance. She’s tired of it. It’s a 24/7 job. Definitely depressed. I came to this site looking for support groups for her. She definitely feels all alone, and I understand that because nobody else in the family has it. Although we are supportive, there is no way to TRULY understand. She needs to find her people (in my opinion). And I need my people too.

Yes, PLEASE. My cell is 802 380-8168. I’m at work at the moment so maybe we can talk this weekend? Your communication brought tears to my eyes… and a sigh of relief. :crazy_face::v:. Kindly, Beth

I was diagnosed in Feb 2023 and although I’m not a late teen/early 20’s, believe everyone goes through similar emotions when getting this disease. I’ve hit acceptance level, however it’s unavoidable to fall back to anger feelings now and then. I do find it helpful to talk to others with T1D as my wife and kids can’t relate and thus are of no to minimal help - my daughters are your kids age. On top being fairly new to T1D, I recently was diagnosed with another disability and also have a startup company I founded which is stressful in itself.

If it would help, I’m open to listen to your kids challenges, express my experiences and how I’ve dealt with them, in case it could help them.

@Mombeth4pat In afraid I can’t be of help to you, but wanted to suggest you send a private message to Sheri by clicking on her name. The forum is open to anyone who finds the website so you may want to keep your number between the two of you.

@Mombeth4pat if you want to make your number “invisible” to people after sending a direct message as @wadawabbit Dorie suggested, you can EDIT your post by pushing on the edit button and deleting the portion of the post with your phone number in it.

Thank you so much. I’m fairly new to this forum and have now learned I’m replying to all :crazy_face:.
I appreciate your care and hope to get my son to join this forum himself once he is ready. I get the anger, I’ll never truly understand but I certainly see it in my son and we’re just hoping to support him. I also see how brave he is trying to move forward and I thank you for taking the time to reach out to others experiencing T1D. Your compassion and care make a difference. Kindly, Beth

Thank you Dorie, I’m not great with technology, thanks for pointing that out. Kindly, Beth

Thank you so much. I will have to get one of my kids to help me do what you suggest. All of you on this JDRF forum are so kind, helpful, and very much appreciated by me and my family. Kindly, Beth, Peter, Owen, Patrick, and Mary McDonald. Love from Vermont, Beth

1 Like

Not a problem. Wishing you all the best and hoping you and your son will be active on the forum.

Thank you Dorie. :v:Beth

@Mombeth4pat , I can relate to the feelings of being newly diagnosed with T1, even though it was over 20 years ago for me. It’s a process that takes time, but it’s important to get support. I’d consider talk therapy, if he’s open to that. Keeping BG to safe levels is vital. I do wonder how he would repeatedly get DKA with a pump/cgm in use. Does he have a 780g? It takes a little adjustment, but it can be very effective. I’ve had mIne fir a few weeks. It does require attention to detail, but can really be a great tool. He might like talking with others his age to see how they cope.

This organization has helped me tremendously. They have an in person and virtual Conference in August this year. I hope to attend. It us sort of a retreat for those who have diabetes and their family members. The leaders are Endocrinologists, with Type 1, who were diagnosed as young men. So they get it.

There is a virtual conference in early May too, Here’s a link. You can navigate to all their videos, schedules, etc.

Dee, I still don’t know how to reply just to you so I assume everyone is seeing this, whatever, I’m sure I’ll get lots of responses. My son, diagnosed just 2 plus years ago at 22 does not use a pump or sensor. He just self injects. Yes, it seems nuts but who am I to judge. I would give anything to get him on a pump he likes. Getting his Endo to respond is difficult. Finding a bloody support group in southern Vermont is worse, and finding a therapist who actually meets face to face and doesn’t meet on zoom is worse than that (which to me is totally subpar for therapists). It is what it is. Patrick is as good as gold, my rock, a beautiful son and human. Seems to me, any medical professional diagnosing a person with T1D would insist on a one on one with a therapist first thing. Instead, I have to keep navigating his long acting insulin pens. Why has the medical community not realized addressing the mental health side of this disease would greatly impact the physical. I’m pretty much at a loss at this point. Beth

1 Like

@Mombeth4pat , Your post upthread said he hated his Medtronic pump, so that’s why I thought he used one. Nonetheless, there are different pumps out there. I hope he finds one he likes.

My therapist is online and it works pretty well. It does make appointments more flexible.

I’m not sure if this was mentoned already but JDRF has some resources that might prove helpful - they can be found at this link:

There is a link to personal support that might have some helpful options for you.
Shots work well for many people once dosing and timing are figured out. Has your son expressed an interest in using a pump at all? Some people love technology - others don’t want to be connected to a device 24/7. Pumps are wonderful tools and some people truly can’t manage their numbers without them, while others prefer the technology: but in either case they require work and effort as well. I hope the forum Resources lead you both to some tools and professional connections that will help him.