At the airport with pump & CGM

I traveled through 5 airports in the past year and had a pat down at each. If you contact TSA in advance, they will actually meet you at a designated area before the screening and walk you through as priority! I carry a small cooler with spare insulin, food, drinks over 3 ounces. I also carry an extra sensor for my freestyle libre that CANNOT be X-rayed. I have had no issues with getting through check-in and have actually written great reviews to TSA for their exceptional help. To plan for an easy TSA experience:

1. Try to notify TSA in advance through TSACares. Fill out the form here https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares and they will call you back within 72 hours. I have found it often to be next day!
  2. If your flight is within 72 hours, call TSA Cares (855) 787-2227 to request assistance.
  3. You should also stop at an information booth and pick up the “hidden disabilities lanyard” which is green with sunflowers. It is recognized at all airports.

I hope this helps you next time!

5 Likes

Unless you are going to be gone for more than 30 days you do not need to keep insulin cool. It will last totally unrefrigerated for 30 days as long as it is not stored in direct sunlight like your car. That will save you some storage and headaches. I just give the vial to the people before being scanned and they swab it and I am on my way. Sensors also go through metal detectors just fine.

1 Like

@808IUFan Larry - Insulin must still be kept cool in warmer climates like the Desert Southwest in the USA. At over 110 degrees F it will spoil!

Pam K.

@the.momn8r Marie - Thank you for the good advice!

I am 67 years old. I have been a diabetic since 12. You do not need to tell me that! Someone mentioned all the trouble they had to go through with all kinds of cooling items. None of that is needed. Sure it can’t be 110F and I said you cant put in inside your car in the summer. You do NOT need to keep your current insulin vial on ice or inside any cooling item. In fact insulin should NOT be cool at all going in your body. It needs to be room temperature.

1 Like