Breakfast ideas

Could anyone give me some healthy breakfast ideas? Also has anyone tried Lillys chocolate candy bars? It is a low carb candy bar.

A friend of mine posted Meal on FB a while back that reminded me of Mediterranean food. I looked online for some easy recipes and found one called Shakshuka. The base at least for the one I found was onions and green peppers, which are sauteed; then add in some tomatoes and tomato sauce (I used stewed instead), tours with a picked egg. I’ve thrown in different veggies, depending on what we had in the fridge, and may or may not have an egg with it. I use a small ramekin. I don’t typically use sauces so don’t know how tomato sauce may affect your blood sugar but you can probably experiment.

1 Like

I found a great recipe for low carb pancakes on a website called The Novice Chef. 3 nice sized pancakes are just 8 carbs, and I add unflavored protein powder for some extra calories and protein (son trying to gain weight). The pancakes, along with berries and 2 good yogurt (2 carbs) are filling and don’t spike his BG. I haven’t tried Lily’s chocolate bars, but make pancakes and choc chip cookies with Lily’s no sugar choc chips.

1 Like

I make homemade plain yogurt add 40grams of berries add spoonful chia and linseeds few walnuts spoon ground almonds spoon peanut nut butter and little cocoa leave overnight yummy

2 Likes

Thank you for all of your ideas!

For me, even a “healthy” cereal is a killer for my sugars in the morning. My go-to for breakfast is simply a banana and yoghurt.

Our go-to school morning breakfast is whole grain toast with peanut butter and strawberries. She takes a chocolate protein shake to school if she’s still hungry (Atkins, 5gm carb.)

I’ve been doing a single thin sliced whole wheat bread toasted with crunchy peanut butter. Also I’ll do one slice Power Grid waffle (lower carb/higher protein) toasted with chunky peanut butter and touch SF maple syrup.

I normally always have eggs, bacon, and a banana with peanut butter. I haven’t noticed bananas spiking my blood sugar too high, but obviously everyone’s body is different!

I would definitely avoid sugary cereal - all the sugar is SO bad (if you haven’t figured that out by now of course!); the few times I have had it I have gone up to high 300s and stayed high for hours and hours. And even the sugar-free syrup still spikes my blood sugar super high too, which is kind of annoying but I guess that makes it more of a treat when I do occasionally have pancakes or whatever haha.

It’s a bit of work, but every few weeks I’ll make a batch of bacon egg and cheese empanadas using fathead dough, and freeze them until my son is ready to eat them. It’s the only way he’ll eat eggs. 12 carbs each.

1 Like

I typically eat 2 boiled eggs and a piece of toast with some jam. Fairly low carb so I don’t have to worry about any mid morning spikes.Pro tip: get a little egg cooker. I’ll use that to boil 6-12 eggs for the week to save time during the morning! I got mine on Amazon for cheap.

The Lilly chocolate is 22g carbs 12g fiber and 7g sugar alcohol. Also uses inulin (May have effect on sugar) so I wouldn’t suggest a whole candy bar but a few pieces should be good.

Breakfast I do coffee and heavy cream and egg yolks. It’s a sugar free version of Vietnamese egg coffee. Get nutrition from yolks and fat for caloric value without starting digestion much. Helps limit spike.

Can you send me the link to the recipe? I miss having pancakes so much every Sunday.

A good simple breakfast Idea is eggs, bacon, and toast as the only foods with carbs will be the toast. (Including peanut butter or jelly if you add that)
A good more complex Breakfest Idea in my opinion is a quiche. When I refer to a quiche, I suggest having the cupcake shaped ones as they have less fats in them. Sometimes, I will eat asparagus with my breakfast because it gives me fiber and protein.
Milk is good too along with these breakfasts. Preferbly Almond milk is a good choice in my opinion but any Milk is good.

Hi @Papertiger00. I’ve never heard of egg coffee (or any dish that mixed those two ingredients for that matter🤔) so you’ve got me intrigued. I thought it was a drink but did a very quick google search and it looks more like maybe a custard. Would you mind sharing your recipe? If you don’t use Vietnamese coffee, would you recommend one?

@wadawabbit it’s like a latte. I being quick and simple use bullet blender and use three egg yolks, 1/4cup heavy whipping cream, 1-2 tbsp of stevia and flavor extract. Pour it all in big blender cup fill cup 3/4 full of coffee and enjoy

Thanks for your quick reply - I’ll pick up what I need on my next run to the store!

Before anyone says the yolks blend in so no pieces and they get cooked by the 160f temperature so safe, just so you know

Do you have a recipe for those?

When I have enough time I do like to spent it in cooking. One f the latest discoveries of mine is sugar-free donuts.

Ingredients:

• Low Carb Flour alternative such as Carbalose equivalent to 2 cups of flour.
  • Sugar Alternative= equivalent to 1 3/4 cups of sugar. Granular such as Splenda works best for me.
  • Baking Powder- 2 tsp.
  • Salt- 1/2 tsp.
  • Vanilla Extract- 2 tsps.
  • Egg- 1 beaten.
  • Butter- 2 tablespoons softened.
  • Milk or other similar liquid- 1 1/4 cups depending on how many carbs/fat you will allow, you can use anything from whole milk to unsweetened almond milk. However, you will get a better tasting result from a fuller liquid such as whole milk.

Instructions:
Preheat an oven to 350 and prep your pan for nonstick. (I’m using Bellemain pan for it’s nonsticking quality). In a mixing bowl, combine flour alternative, sugar alternative, baking powder, and salt. Set it aside. Now, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, egg and milk. Pour this mixture into the dry mixture 1/3rd at a time, stirring between mixing. Mix until blended. Pour this into the prepped pans. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan.

1 Like