What do you think are pros/cons of tubing vs tubeless pumps!

I used tubed pumps close to 30 years before switching to Omnipod5 a little over a year ago. It took a while for me to make the switch because I worried what would happen if I lost or forgot my controller or my phone - currently my iPhone isn’t approved as a controller but I prefer using a separate device anyway. I did finally decide to give it a try - since there’s no commitment I thought I would go back to tubed after a few weeks but its algorithm worked better for me than Tandem’s did and I’ve used it every since!
I’m as fanatical about keeping my controller with me as I am my phone and have rarely gotten very far without it (them) - in part because I keep my controller in a sling case with my keys attached. I did pay out of pocket for a separate controller in case anything happened to the first one. I hate to say it because the Omnipod is such a great device but the controllers seem cheap - like they used the body of an old cell phone and put the workings inside. I’ve gotten a few warranty replacements - none have just died on the spot, but they started having connection or charging issues (can’t recall the details anymore). Depending on the issue I keep the old one rather than throwing it out - if Controller 1 had a charging issue and Controller 2 is having trouble connecting, I can still use Controller 1 until Number 2’s replacement arrives. And if worst comes to worst I have the one I paid out of pocket, ready and waiting.
Unfortunately programming the controller is a pain - there are additional sequences you have to go through to program a fresh controller that you don’t see on one that’s already set up so it can be hard to find what you’re looking for. It would be nice if you could plug it in to your computer to download - or even better sync from the cloud (but imagine that could be a safety issue). I think programming Tandem and Minimed pumps was much more logical and intuitive.
No tubing is great although I was on tubed pumps for so long it didn’t bother me. One solution I found to keep my tubed pump from dropping was to wrap the tubing around the leg and waist band of my panties a couple of times. If it did slip out of my pocket or off my waistband, that stopped it without jarring the site. Of course you have to remember to unwind before using the restroom or it will pull. You could also try those gadgets you wrap headphones wires around.

I like the tslim. The tubing isn’t a super big issue, it does get caught on stuff and it can be annoying when you’re getting dressed/in the rest room (a part about pumping they never mention is that it’s connected to you literally 24/7!).
I tend to be a bit forgetful and am the type of person who looses their phone at least once a week. I left my phone at school on accident yesterday- that would’ve been an issue if I left my omnipod PDM/controller. It’s nearly impossible to loose your pump when it’s connected to you by tubing.
I also bike to school and sometimes my pump gets dislodged/falls out of my pocket. Instead of shattering on the pavement it just swings from my waist.
Of course if I had an omnipod or a different tubeless pump I bet I would come up with solutions and it would probably teach me to be a little less careless!
I’m not sure about this, but I’ve heard that you can put tubed pump sides in more areas and a definite plus is that you don’t see the pump sites as easily under clothing with a tubed pump. Like I can wear leggings and have my site on my thigh/leg and no one sees them. The omnipod is a bit bigger and can cause a funny looking lump under your clothes some times. But then a plus with the omnipod is that since it’s ‘remote controlled’ it’s a lot easier to wear dresses/costumes. There are pants I’ve had to say no to because they don’t have pockets or the waistband isn’t sturdy enough to hold up my pump.

(If anyone else on here has a tslim or omnipod…. What do you think are pros/cons of tubing vs tubeless pumps!?)

I used tubed pumps close to 30 years before switching to Omnipod5 a little over a year ago. It took a while for me to make the switch because I worried what would happen if I lost or forgot my controller or my phone - currently my iPhone isn’t approved as a controller but I prefer using a separate device anyway. I did finally decide to give it a try - since there’s no commitment I thought I would go back to tubed after a few weeks but its algorithm worked better for me than Tandem’s did and I’ve used it every since!
I’m as fanatical about keeping my controller with me as I am my phone and have rarely gotten very far without it (them) - in part because I keep my controller in a sling case with my keys attached. I did pay out of pocket for a separate controller in case anything happened to the first one. I hate to say it because the Omnipod is such a great device but the controllers seem cheap - like they used the body of an old cell phone and put the workings inside. I’ve gotten a few warranty replacements - none have just died on the spot, but they started having connection or charging issues (can’t recall the details anymore). Depending on the issue I keep the old one rather than throwing it out - if Controller 1 had a charging issue and Controller 2 is having trouble connecting, I can still use Controller 1 until Number 2’s replacement arrives. And if worst comes to worst I have the one I paid out of pocket, ready and waiting.
Unfortunately programming the controller is a pain - there are additional sequences you have to go through to program a fresh controller that you don’t see on one that’s already set up so it can be hard to find what you’re looking for. It would be nice if you could plug it in to your computer to download - or even better sync from the cloud (but imagine that could be a safety issue). I think programming Tandem and Minimed pumps was much more logical and intuitive.
No tubing is great although I was on tubed pumps for so long it didn’t bother me. One solution I found to keep my tubed pump from dropping was to wrap the tubing around the leg and waist band of my panties a couple of times. If it did slip out of my pocket or off my waistband, that stopped it without jarring the site. Of course you have to remember to unwind before using the restroom or it will pull. You could also try those gadgets you wrap headphones wires around.

Haha I do the same thing! Especially when my site is on my stomach. I’ve pulled out so many sites just because my pump fell out of my pocket and my site wasn’t strong enough to hold the weight of the pump.

I haven’t yet used a patch pump, although I like the sound of The Solo so I can’t offer pros/cons.

A thought about dropping the t-Slim if/when the case clip doesn’t hold well to all materials. About 3 or 4 years ago when I needed to replace a protective case I went to the Tandem Store and saw that there is a choice of cases - the one shipped with new pumps and the better, IMO, case with the 360 degree swivel clamp that holds snuggly to even a single, slippery piece of cloth/clothing and has a hook that grabs around any belt. There are several after-market knock-offs of the official Tandem case, just make sure that you choose one with appropriate vent holes; the holster that came with my Minimed Paradigm 535 will hold my t-Slim.

It is 100% pure marketing that tubing is bad, causes issues, and inconvenient or whatever. I will never fall for it. I only need the actual pump. I never forget anything because it is always attached.

All pumps are essentially equal so pick the one you like, even if it is because you like the color.

I’ve always had tubing and it’s never ever been a problem (20 years of pumping).

I only have 1 criticism about omnipod and that’s the waste of throwing away a pump, electronics, sensors, and battery along with the infusion set every 2-3 days. But that’s it. You may want to get an empty pod to sleep with it, so you’re not, you know, trying to sleep on a computer mouse.

I think I like Tandem’s Mobi. Tiny headless tubed pump. I think that’s my next move, soon as they get released, and with g7. Good luck whatever you decide :four_leaf_clover:

Oh and yes I did move this @6yGodsGr , because it was in a “Teens” topic and in a different category. Sorry for any confusion.

Inspiration from a different topic - another advantage of tubed pumps is, if you remove them for radiology tests you can just disconnect and “plug back in” when you’re finished. With Omnipod you have to go through the fill process from scratch.

1 Like

For my teen son he would not even consider having a tubed system. We have been on omnipod from the start. I like that the site can be in more places. The only concern was wanting the smart tech that the tubed systems have but we do have that now! So we vote for tubeless.

Lisa @Cnlschmidt my first response is to stick with what works - “don’t fix what ain’t broke”.

As far as site location, tubed pumps offer a considerably wide of locations than patch pumps and, except for the possibility of tubing pulling off a site, a tiny infusion set is more secure. I have mapped sites on my body numbered #1 - #24 [only 12 currently in active rotation] and have wonderful insulin absorption at each location even though I’ve been actively using insulin injection/infusion fir 67 years.

I have used tubing with pumps for 30 years and I have been using Omnipod 5 for a few months now.

Pros of tubeless is:

1-not worrying What clothes to wear and where to hook the pump.

2- more freedom of movement specially when I sleep, but if the pod is on a side that is pressed when you roll over this can cause bleeding.

3- small discreet pump which can be hidden.

Cons for me:

If it fails you lose the insulin inside

If the pod fails you need to leave and go home where your vials are to replace it even if you have extra pod with you, can’t carry the insulin just in case and with a regular pump you can always change the quickset (needle part) and use same reservoir.

Difficult to find a scar free place that will be near Dexcom! With regular pump it doesn’t matter where you have it inserted, can always put it on right side and clip it in left if Dexcom is on left.

Mostly, the restriction of where to place the pod is the worst for me.

1 Like

Hi @eroig13 . The one thing I don’t care for with Omnipod is the need to carry a bottle of insulin with you, rather than just a spare reservoir. Needles to say I had huge concerns about breaking that bottle containing my liquid gold but thankfully I found a shop on Etsy that makes vial protectors that keep my insulin secure. I’m not sure I’m allowed to share the name of the shop so do a search for “3D printed insulin vial vessel protective case” and you’ll find them. You can choose your own color combos

and they have some with fun characters as well.

Be sure to choose the style for the type of insulin you use - the bottles are not all the same.

@eroig13 I appreciate your perspective. For me, and I appreciate we and others may have different views, I don’t have a problem with “re-cycling” a significant amount of insulin, whether left over due to decreased carbs or error in judgement of what is needed (this is rare). If I have a significant amount left in a pod at it’s end life or if it dies unexpectedly, I’ll use the syringe that comes with each pod to transfer to a new pod. Yes, the company would probably have a fit, along with the FDA, and some others; yes, there’s some risk from contamination; but I judge the risk (with some cleanliness safe guards) risk minimal. My other observation, and again this is a personal decision, I have yet to use an insulin vial as you and @wadawabbit do (perhaps due to insurance coverageor amount(s) used?). I’ve always used flexpens to fill my pods directly using a standard needle. I feel the pens as more discreet, less time consuming to use, easy to carry in my “kit”, and provide a back-up to use as MDI if needed. No return home necessary, just a quick “Where’s my coat?” to get my small carry kit with a few needles and flex pen and back-up pod (if needed, situation dependent). I appreciate you’re right, a replacement “quickset” might be easier, but I’ve never used one, so can’t comment. You’re right the pod placement can be problematic at times, though I’ve established a regular rotation cycle of relatively easy access points to use.

1 Like

I’ve always used vials to full my pumps, andI keep a supply of pens as a backup, or in case i want to take a break. Since that rarely happens I usually end up with expired pens - it might make more sense to use them to fill the pump (assuming insurance will allow, of course). Wish I’d thought of that sooner🤪 - thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t have a problem recycling, but it doesn’t work all the time. I always lose insulin and The syringe it brings is hard, so I have tried with regular syringe and always lose a significant amount of insulin.

Will try to take new pens to fill new pod, though!

1 Like

Great! Are they a bit insulated for heat? I live in south Fl so having insulin out of cold for long period of time in the summer may be an issue. If I can refill older pens this may do the trick.

FYI, I use BD Nano 2nd Gen needles (they have a relatively flat area adjacent the metal needle, almost the diameter of the pen screw on connector, vice a small diameter plastic piece like many needles have), they’re the 4mm length. I got these when on MDI (using 5-9 every day); now that I fill my pod every 3 days, it just may be lifetime supply! I’ve never had a problem with them working with pods; the longer 6-8mm type some folks use may be too long for the body/insulin chamber of the pods.

@eroig13 I’m actually glad to hear you say something about the (insulin) loss factor! I’ve thought the same thing on occasion but have no way of knowing except to insert a measured amount with one syringe, then puling it back out with another of the same type and see what I get. Interestingly, I don’t have to worry about my insulin supply under current insurance, but the fact some can’t afford/get what they need makes me conserve.

Ref your comment on the heat: I live in Virginia (DC area). I don’t leave my insulin in a car parked in the hot sun, my kit pretty much goes where I go unless I’m on a short trip to HomeDepot or grocery shopping (then just tabs for a low). I’ve never had a problem with insulin “not” working due to heat exposure. I currently use ≈30-40 units per day, so a pen lasts thru 2+ pods (I tend to take up most of the 8 hr grace period, so 6-7 days). I don’t think the heat I normally encounter is going to kill it off in that time; it can take 98.6 at my inner arm for 3+ days straight. As with all things, YDMV due to your activities, body, etc. (Hey! You may be out playing professional volleyball down there in FL!)

No - no insulation. From a quick read through the website

insulin is good for 30 days once opened if kept at a temperature <86 degrees. Living in the DC area where summers are hazy, hot and humid, I might be outside in 90 degree temps for a while but typically not very long before I retreat to air conditioning (my days off spending hours under the hot sun at the beach are long gone😊). No problems.

1 Like

I have always kept unopened and opened bottles of insulin refrigerated and remove the one I am using no more than 10-15 minutes before using it. Never an issue with effectiveness. I always finish the open vial before the 30 days.

1 Like