Dexcom G6 Device Help

Hello,

My 12 year old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  He is doing a great job with testing blood sugars and giving insulin.  He is ready for the next step of wearing a Dexcom g6.  

We are looking for advice on what other parents have decided for receiving Dexcom numbers. We know there is a receiver but we also know you can use a phone/device. Not really excited about our 12 year old having a phone yet or data plan yet but also know a device would allow us to use the Follow App. Wondering if we can get a device and then just use the bluetooth and wifi and not get a data plan.

Thanks for any and all advice about kids with Dexcom.

Hi Jennifer!

Not a parent here just a person that was diagnosed with diabetes around the same time as your son. I was diagnosed when I was 11 and my parents did get me a phone solely so I had some way to always contact them but didn’t put a plan on it. My phone could be used for limited things only because they also didn’t feel like I needed a phone. I could be wrong on the phone part, but I’m pretty sure if you have a phone you own (an old one lying around) you can add to WiFi. Not sure about the data piece but I also think you would need data for his cgm to connect. Can you put privacy controls on the phone that limits the things he can use a phone for so he won’t go over data or use it for anything you don’t want him to use? I will say I am 28 and live by myself so my parents, sister, and best friend all follow me for low alerts. I haven’t had to use it yet, but it’s so nice getting a call from my mom when I drop below 70 just to make sure that I’m able to get help if I need it or to just send her a quick text saying hey lol drank some juice I’ll check in again soon.

Sorry I know this wasn’t a super helpful answer but a phone could be super beneficial for him!

1 Like

The Dexcom transmitter links to a smartphone via Bluetooth. He needs a smartphone. The phone acts as the receiver. The phone needs data or WiFi in order for the Dexcom numbers to transmit to “Follow”. If you are running follow on another phone, say your phone, his phone needs data to share the Dexcom numbers. If you buy a phone you can lock it down with a pin and all he needs to do is be very close to it and on WiFi or data, and you can follow from anywhere,

3 Likes

Thanks! This was helpful.

This may be venturing slightly off topic but you don’t need to invest in an expensive cell phone - when my stepdaughter started high school we got her an older model smart phone off of eBay - much less expensive than buying the latest and greatest, particularly for someone young.
Dexcom has a compatability link that let’s you see if a particular phone will work with the follow feature: https://www.dexcom.com/compatibility/select

1 Like

Hi, Jennifer! Our daughter is 12 and doesn’t have a phone yet, either. She uses the receiver and Wi-Fi, which means I don’t get alerts in the moment when she’s away from my phone, but I can review her data with Clarity later to make adjustments as needed.

I’m comfortable with this system: our daughter is generally very mature and responsible for her age; we have a good relationship with her school; and she did well with finger sticks for years, so we are used to trusting her and those around her to be alert to what she needs and to handle it.

Just for example, I picked her up from camp one day several summers ago to learn that one of the counselors during swim had noticed that my daughter looked low and called her out of the pool to check. She was indeed low, so she drank a juice, had a snack, and went back to playing with her friends. No muss, no fuss, just competently managing.

She’s on a swim team now, and is mostly out of Bluetooth range during practice. Same deal: she makes sure she’s good before she starts swimming, and she checks again after. If she feels low during, she’ll take a break to do what she needs to do. It’s not nearly as good as a functioning pancreas, but it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you don’t need to give him a phone if you don’t want him to have one yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Smart phone, use the Dexcom app and SugarMate. For alarm laddering. Make sure the phone is in the 504 education plan.

You @srozelle , or much more importantly your daughter has this right. Jennifer @leant1 , this is the path to effective diabetes management - being proactive, knowing your own body, and being aware of surroundings and activity. Being able to anticipate and know when to work with the unexpected - with or without the wonderful alert tools.

Yes Jennifer, let your son use these tools and encourage him to study his body feelings and anticipate what the Dexcom reading will be before glancing at the Receiver. I use “the latest & greatest” diabetes gear and let it run in the background, but I can also when necessary manage well with a syringe and vial of insulin. This is somewhat deviating from your question about phone-need, but letting you know your son can do well without.

1 Like