Insulin vials cooling & longevity

Hi everyone,

my refrigerator stopped cooling, before it got warm, I transferred all my vials to a cool box for overnight. I relocated them in a small mini fridge the next day. what are the chances the insulin will go off with the slight fluctuation from very cool to just cool to now very cool? i’m sure it will be fine, but just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen.
Mary

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it. At room temp insulin is good for a month, so I don’t think small fluctuations of cool temps would hurt. Generally you’re okay so long as you avoid extremes either way.

1 Like

Mary @Disco2, what you describe should NOT adversely affect analog insulin; formulations like Humalog, Novolin, Lantus, etc. And should not harm rDNA formulations such as Humulin, Novolin, etc.

The chances are outstanding that your insulin is fine. :grinning:

@Disco2 , the most recent literature review has found this article about insulin and temperature.

It was conducted in Africa with refugee encampments. The take away is your insulin should be fine if it was not [1] FROZEN, or [2] subjected to a sustained temperature greater than 100ºF (37.8ºC).

I hope there is a PharmD in the group to corroborate this information.

Insulin - Heat - Africa study

Thoughts?

No worries… your insulin will be just fine.

thanks, this helps. online other resources say the same thing basically.

1 Like