Insurance with DME and Tier Two Pharmacy Benefit

Hello everyone,

I thought I would share what we’ve recently experienced in hopes it might help someone save some money. My son uses Dexcom G6 CGM with Tandem Slim X2 insulin pump. Since diagnosis (2 1/2 years ago) we were setup with Byram Healthcare for all the supplies. We found out this weekend our Blue Cross Blue Shield policy considers Dexcom supplies as a Tier 2 pharmacy drug, which has a co-pay of $30 a month. Through Byram we were paying 20% after the deductible. This is going to save us almost $500 bucks a year!
Now, I don’t know how or why we didn’t already know about this…possibly ignorance on our part, after all we were only dealing with DKA at diagnosis and learning how to live with an (as of now) incurable insulin dependent disease, so maybe we didn’t ask all the right questions, or dive into our insurance coverage to see exactly how this all works…but I sure am glad we know now!!

3 Likes

Thank you, Joanna, @WarriorMom13 for sharing this cost saving information I’m certain that many other readers here appreciate this.

I’ll Globally pin this Topic at the top so as many readers as possible will see.