Tandem Mobi first impressions

Thank you for sharing! I am up for a new pump next year. I appreciate seeing details and getting insights on new products!

2 Likes

What does Mobi stand for - is it an acronym, or short for something - or is it just a name they chose? Anybody know?

Tandem Mobi was formerly named t:sport mini-pump. It is possibly called mobi for the mobile bolusing app feature. its not an acronym.

1 Like

@pamcklein @Disco2 @6yGodsGr @Tlholz @bsteingard @Diabeteswarriorprinc

So this is the Mobi cartridge removal:

This is a Mobi Cartridge - it is remarkably similar to a Medtronic Reservoir except it is smaller - 200u max fill

No extra needle there is a transfer needle built in

I use the little plunger to fill the set (an old hack from Medtronic) and then the pump to fill the set (very fast)

The pump clicks when filling.

IN use today and yesterday and everything is working fine in “manual mode” I transferred settings to the Mobi quite easily.

2 Likes

Wow that’s a fantastic upgrade from the current tslim cartidge fill process

Mobi operational notes - day 7
The app is very stable on iPhone 12 mini, I also (as a backup) loaded it onto my iPad pro (just thinking about the day where I accidentally flush my phone or something… ) It loaded and I was able to sign in on iPad… I have not paired it to the pump.

Overall I am not using CIQ yet, I am waiting for the G7 update. I like G7 and I am not going to start a G6 (supplies and all, just for feedback) I decided to wait.

I transferred my settings the way I like them to the pump very easily. Tandem puts the I:C and sensitivity data into the “personal profile” where basal rates are programmed. I get it: you can set basal rates up to 16 segments per 24 hours. During these segments you can set a target BG, which is great for CIQ. However I have 4 segments for basal per day and 3 for I:C and sensitivity, since these are tied to “basal” segments I found the program a little clumsy for a morning, noon, and night I:C. (3 sensitivity times coinciding with meal times) this complaint is VERY MINOR. I just picked the segment “just before” to set my I:C.

The wider reservoir (cartridge) leads me to think that the accuracy of the delivered insulin is less than my 15 year old medtronnic. simply because the Modi and the Medtronic both use stepper motors to drive a plunger (by the way this is NOT how the T’slim works) so a larger diameter cartridge is shorter, but the each increment on that plunger has less resolution and therefore less overall accuracy. . Stepper motors haven’t changed in 15 years. Purely engineering - nothing to do with actual use for me because I use ~50 units per day and a 0.05 unit difference doesn’t really mean anything to me.

The Mobi will let you use a temporary basal of 0 units (I do this manually) but the dumb thing alarms when I do so, because I am below (an arbitrary) 50% of my profile basal rate. This is just dumb. I purposely put 0% as a temp basal because I am aggressive with insulin and instead of suspending the pump I put in a temp basal so I don’t forget to turn it back on. I confirm 0% I confirm that it is below 50% and then I get an additional alarm I have to acknowledge that is “below minimum” or it continues to alarm. This is dopey programming. by someone who does not use insulin. This is an actual complaint.

• Meal bolus - Easy
  • Corrections - easy
  • temp basal - Easy except as above for 0%
  • re-connection to pump after separation from the phone - slightly irritating but fast enough to not warrant a complaint
  • Cartridge change - easy, super easy actually
  • Charging - needs a top-up every 2 days, ~ 15 minutes
  • Waste generated, A little more than expected. Tandem’s XC has a little more packaging bloat due to the built in clicker with every set, and the tubing is awkward as a result, but the XC head is so small and the disconnect is easier than quick-set, reconnect is harder by a smidge

I am looking forward to CIQ and stress testing the sleep and activity modes.

This tiny pump is a welcomed change to my old pump. I like the phone interface because I think “on board” control panels make the pump bigger than it needs to be and I just don’t want to pull it out of my pocket to deliver a bolus or correction. Very happy with the Mobi, I will be happier if it continues to work for half as long as my last pump.

3 Likes

A thing to note: even if you’ve set a target BG in your personal profiles, CIQ will disregard this when you turn it on. Same with insulin duration. It’s one of the little annoying things about CIQ. My Endo said it has something to do with legal stuff if I remember correctly- if the insulin manufacturers say it lasts for 5 hours, the algorithm is going to run as if it lasts for 5 hours.

1 Like

Haha this drives me crazy too on the tslim. It freaks my gym teacher out in PE when I set my basal at 0% for 30 minutes so I don’t go low. If I set the basal rate and already checked all the check marks… do you really think I need several more alerts? No insulin for 30 min isn’t going to kill me!

I’m curious to hear what you think of CIQ.

Thanks for that, I thought I could coach CIQ targets. Yes I’ll turn it on as soon as mobi updates to G7. No reason not to. :grinning:

Well let’s see. I’m 4+ weeks in and I don’t have much else to add. 1 correction- while I was able to install the mobi app on my iPad and while it did connect to the pump, it will not control the pump (throws an error stating it is “not a supported phone”) so an iPad backup as a controller is impossible. I resolved this by buying a used iPhone and cloned my current phone so I do have a backup controller for an emergency. Used phones are significantly cheaper than new top line phones.

Summing up: The pump works the XC sets are comfortable and I have no real complaints.

3 Likes

Did the Mobi app on the iPad sync all the data from the app on the phone so you could look at reports on the big screen? Have you done a transmitter change on your G6 with the pump? I’m wondering if Tandem fixed the pump allowing you to start a new sensor with an expired transmitter thing the T:slim does. Is the Mobi app any better with notifications and alerts compared to having to clear them on the T:slim pump? Are the event logs useful in the app, for instance if you wanted to check if you got a Dexcom G6 transmitter change alert? Are their any new reports that make it easier to see correlation between dosing, carbs or exercise and BG?

I’m confused. When a transmitter is “expired” it’s dead- it can’t work anymore because it doesn’t have any battery left. Am I misunderstanding something you said?

iPad would let me look at the event graph but I didn’t play with it long enough. All the settings were there but I couldn’t edit anything or bolus or change cartridges.

I’m on G7 so I’m not using mobi for ciq or any of the CGM functions.

Notifications are cleared on the phone. Annoying. You get a beep and its notifications > swipe > hit the little x to clear.

The log is like a paper tape you can’t do much with it. Nothing new but I never used tslim so I can’t compare. I understand from Tandem they are improving the app specifically with the event graph but I couldn’t get details. I assume if they improve the app they can improve the tslim too with an update.

There are tons of things they could do with the app, and phone sensors for example pull in my watch data and automatically set sleep or exercise.

I don’t have a t:slim but I have heard reports… If you are using the pump to manage your Dexcom G6 you get 3 notifications about CGM low battery, according to the manual the last alert is 7 days before end of the last sensor session for the transmitter. Then go Options, CGM, Start sensor, and the pump allows entering a code. If a user or more likely caregiver doesn’t remember about the sensor expiring they are going to insert a new sensor and snap in the old transmitter. Then they get the transmitter error alert because like you said, can’t start a new sensor with an expired transmitter.

@joe Thank you for answering my questions.

1 Like

Love the updates! I’m wondering about the accuracy of dosing. Please let us know what you find out!

Thanks for all of the info you always provide. It is much appreciated!

Pam K.

1 Like

@pamcklein , Dose accuracy seems ok for my use. It’ll be tough to get anything more than a gut feel.

Does the extended bolus show up on the Mobi app on your phone? If I want an extended bolus on my T:slim I need to do it from the pump and not from my phone because the app doesn’t have that feature.

1 Like

Hi @Steelhead the mobi app controls the extended bolus I put a screen shot below of the app view for extended bolus from my phone

1 Like

@Steelhead also, I would expect updates to the x2 software in the future to include extended bolus from the phone as well, Tandem aren’t the greatest with future update communications.