Tandem Mobi Pump Gains FDA Approval

I think I know which pump I want when my current tandem t:slim warranty expires!

1 Like

Fits in a coin pocket - that’s amazing!
Thanks for sharing.
How long until you get to upgrade? I’m sure you’re counting down the days😊.

My pump warranty expires May of 2025…. End of my senior year, funny enough. I had been thinking of trying the omnipod to see if their algorithm works better for me but as long as the mobi doesn’t force me to use CIQ, I’m very interested in it! The size factor is mind blowing! I’m definitely counting the days now….

I’m very happy with Omnipod and their algorithm works better for me than Dexcom: of course your mileage may vary.
Check with an Omnipod rep or your insurance to make sure this is still the case, but because the pods are disposable there is no long-term commitment, so you can try them even while your current pump is still under warranty. I imagine insurance would cover the pod supplies in lieu of your regular ones for the time period, and if you don’t like them you can go right back to your old pump. No waiting 3 or 4 years for a warranty to expire!!

1 Like

OmniPod “Auto Mode” has done better for me than my last Tandem’s Basal- or Bolus-IQ. To be fair, my t:slim warranty ended before the most recent firmware update.

Neither Pod nor t:slim is as easy to fill (with insulin) as Medtronic, but I think Pods are a bit easier. Biggest Pod advantages are no tubing and 100% waterproof. Biggest disadvantages are small reservoir (200u, max) and Pod thickness (buttocks sites really don’t work if you plan to sit down in the next 72hours!) I find the Pod packaging (Pod+syringe+needle all in a package slightly larger than a deck-of-cards) to be much simpler.

I’ve not had problem with site adhesion from either company. Though I’ve noticed a decline in quality of everyone’s sites ever since Medtronic started the whole industry using ONLY their own proprietary sites and tubing, OmniPod seems to have kept the highest quality (IMHO. I’ve used OmniPod 2nd-gen, Pod5, Medtronic 630 briefly and 2 generations of Tandem.) I’ve had fewest site infections using Pods.

Tho I’m an enthusiastic Podder, I should point out that the lack of tubing or inability to temporarily disconnect means that you’ll need to plan your jacuzzi days for arm sites to avoid cooking/expanding the insulin in the hot water.

Good luck deciding–there’s a lot of exciting features out there!

@ski_phreak , Just so we present technically accurate information, no thing is 100% water proof. Omnipod is IP28 waterproof rating . This international standard means that the Pod has been tested to function nominally as deep as 25 feet below the water surface for up to 60 minutes. 26 feet or 61 minutes and you are out of spec for IP28 and it can fail and still retain this rating. :peace_symbol::shamrock:

Interesting. I’ll be eligible for an upgrade when it comes out next year. But probably won’t be able to get it because the way they were able to make it so small is by moving all the controls to your phone. My current phone isn’t compatible with the T:slim’s remote bolus feature, and it seems the Mobi isn’t compatible with Android phones at all. Oh well. I’m happy with my T:slim.

I remember a time when Apple phones were late on the list and Androids were getting the features instead - that seems to have reversed. Hopefully by the time you are due, things will have changed and Androids will work with the technology.

Thanks for the gentle correction, Joe. You are absolutely correct, and I did not take the time to look up IPX ratings.

I admit that I’m irked that modern pumps are LESS waterproof than my 1st pump, a 1st-gen Disetronic Htron 100, then the H100+, and finally the AccuChek. (I never thought MiniMed 40x/50x were built rugged enough, let alone safe near water. Medtronic won my grudging admiration despite “stealing” the better half of its name from my favourite Swiss-made pump. R.I.P.)

What I know from personal experience: in 4+years of 2nd gen Pods I never had a pod fail in any water. Nor did I ever count minutes IN the water, near the water, or falling from a diving board towards the water. Perhaps I was just lucky. The past year, now on Pod5s, my only water-worry has been “where’s my Pod, and how much of me can I soak in the hot tub without cooking my Pod and its insulin…”

When I left OmniPod because the 2nd gen controller was too bulky and the Abbott data reports were… lacking, I had awful luck with what was supposed to be a splash-proof (IP27) pump that I won’t name. This pump died if I didn’t disconnect to shower, it died if it fell into a pool or jacuzzi, and none of the dead pumps had undiscovered cracks to explain the failure. To be fair, my wife, never had a water failure using this same pump, and service/replacement was always fast and professional.

In contrast, my Disetronic never died a water death despite days spent in water parks, wind surfing, and some high-speed water-skiing crashes–one of which snapped off the vent-plug stopper, filled the cartridge cavity with lake water, and bruised my ribs in the shape of a pump. Tech support told me to dry the cartridge and everything beneath, check for cracks in the pump and sports case, reassemble it all, then go havefun, but be sure not to lose the pump in the lake since THAT wasn’t covered by warranty. :smile:

The point of my nostalgia-meander is that my standards of “rugged” and “water resistant” (let alone “splash proof”) remain incredibly high ever since I was fortunate enough to own a brilliant (but primitive) Swiss pump in the early 90s.

2 Likes

A always enjoy hearing reminiscences about pumps and technology from the past (I use the weird “technology” loosely to describe what we had back then😉).
My first pumps are Minimeds. I wasn’t in the water as much as you - swimming now and then but that was rare, so my greatest contact with H2O was in the shower or caught in the rain. You’ll recall there was no disconnect in so you had to wear a big bully sports guard!
Help me remember - there was a pump that billed itself as water restant or maybe even waterproof but it lost that claim to fame after failures we retorted. Which one was it?
Thanks!

Even as a T1D toddler (dx’d 3 years ago) I also love hearing about the older tech! It’s fascinating to hear how things have changed.

OldTech PumpHistory Ahead:

IMHO, Disetronic was waterproof. I’ll have to find my old manuals to find exactly how the company worded it. Despite “playing rough” in my university days (waterskiing as mentioned, colliding with racquetball walls & players & equipment, learning to roller-blade & then doing so in grocery stores and insanely steep hills) I don’t recall having to call tech help much. I do recall that every call included this question, “are there any cracks near the battery compartment or cartridge area?” Being very near-sighted actually helped me to examine every inch of the pump after any collision or fall that the pump & I experienced. Disetronic cared enough about any cracks that they’d replace a pump just for a hairline crack even if it still worked fine.

A simpler system = less to go wrong, I suppose. This will amuse the newcomers in PumpLand: the only feature added between Htron 100 and v.2 Htron 100**+** was the ability to store 10 bolus records. Gen 1 could only recall the date, time, and amount of the last bolus. The only data was what you wrote down, all corrections and meals had to be figured out in your head or on the same paper.

One last combat story about my Disetronic Htron 100: While snow skiing late season (heavier packable snow with high H²O content) I hit an amazing jump–huge air, lots of travel, lots of speed. The landing was not-so-great. The full weight of my body landed on the hip where my pump was clipped. Another pump-shaped bruise that night, but “no biggie, man!” (I was on a first-name basis with ½ the Ski Patrol in those days…)

When I stopped skiing to eat lunch, I found a problem: the impact of my crash slammed a bunch of heavy snow onto the recessed LCD window and the screen now looked like a mad psychiatrist Rorschak(sp?) ink-blot test.
38-3d-disetronic-messgeraete-preview

I told tech help about the crash, the “ink-blot”, and how the touch bolus seemed to be working perfectly–as near as I could tell from the sounds. “Please, Mr. TechMan, is it okay if I finish my ski day before driving home to switch to my 2nd pump? Please?” TechMan laughed and said that it was my choice if I trusted that the touch bolus was working properly. I skied the rest of the day, most of night- skiing, too, and had a great blood-sugar day on the hill–probably because I tested so much more often in order to make sure my pump was still on the job.

I’ve heard and read the nay-sayers about how Disetronic wasn’t water proof. I live near where the 1st lawsuit was filed. Sources that I trust have told me that the plaintiff not only had cracks in her pump exterior, but was in a jacuzzi. I’ve not found any reenactments showing that moisture caused the pump to deliver more insulin. I have every reason to believe that the athletic nature of water sports naturally lead to more frequent hypogycæmia. You, me, and the plaintiff’s solicitors know bl**dy well that a liquid & air in a sealed place will escape like a screaming pressure-cooker when the temperature goes up. Even if someone could somehow show that moisture thru the cracks might magically cause the pump to deliver more insulin (instead of just fail its myriad of system self-checks), whose silly fault is it if you don’t check your snorkel, face mask, or scuba tanks for cracks that could drown you? Why should cracks in a pump be any different? Sadly, once that awful legal precedent was set, its doubtful that we’ll ever see an insulin pump try to be waterproof again.

Mobi is (theoretically) available for US residents!

I’m guessing the tandem site has more information.

2 Likes

There’s a catch here if you are on Tslim and want to transition to Mobi for the nominal upcharge (I thnk it was a small fee), oh, and Mobi does NOT support G7 yet, but other than that all i can say is “it’s about time” =) My current pump is 14 years out of warranty (!!! not kidding) and so I’m giving this pump a go.

2 Likes

I know I’m going off topic but you’ve had your pump for over 14 years? Impressive!!!

1 Like

I second that. Glad to hear these things can last for far longer than the 4 year warranty!

1 Like

i did indeed, Dorie. and @6yGodsGr it’s a good pump. Truth be told, there was no tech I wanted to try, for years after 2008. Then recently I almost tried Tslim but I also liked Pod5. and then I saw the Mobi. Medtronic made me so angry when the warranty on this pump ran out it got my Irish up and I just kept it. MiniMed™ Paradigm™ REAL-Time system. I think they called it the “REVEL”

I just ordered my new Mobi, I’ll do a product critique when I get it. I will not be starting control IQ for a few months Probably start this summer when the G7 update comes.

3 Likes