Seeking Other T1Ds on MDI

I’ve been a T1D for 50+ years and on MDI. I may switch to a pump someday, but I’m well-controlled with MDI so feel no need now. I AM using a CGM (the Dexcom G7)- which is a HUGE help.
I’m starting this post to connect with other T1Ds who are on MDI and using a CGM and are doing well-so that we can share tips/ideas.
When responding, please include how long you’ve been a T1D. Thanks, Joanne

Hi Joanne @Jophilly! I am on MDI. I have been a type one since 2020 (caused by the birth of my last child at age 43).

Hi Joanne. I’m Siana. I’ve had T1D for 40+ years and I’m
on MDI. I’d been on a pump for 20 years but had a consecutive couple of weeks of my tubing getting clogged with multiple infusion set changes and ending up in near DKA, so I returned to MDI. I’ve been happy on it, with stable BGs, and I now use a Dexcom 7 CHM, which helps me a lot.

Hi Courtney and Siana, Its nice to meet you both. Now that there are 3 of us (and hopefully more will join), we can start a discussion. First- would you prefer to communicate this way via the JDRF Forum OR would you prefer to meet over Zoom? I’ve never initiated a Zoom call but could try if you’re both interested- just let me know your preference. Thanks, Joanne

Hi Courtney and Joanne, either one works for me. It might be nice to do Zoom

I would prefer to use this forum. I homeschool my children and have a 4 year old. I don’t really have time for a zoom call.

Hi, I was diagnosed as T2 on 12/15/22 and changed to T1/LADA on 1/9/24. I’m still on MDI. I’m 58 and looking for more information since I feel like I’m back at square 1.

Welcome Staci, I can certainly understand why you would feel that way! We will do our best to help you.

Understood Courtney, we’ll communicate via this forum. We can add Zoom as an extra option later if desired.

First I’ll outline my current regimen and ask everyone on this thread to do the same - as a way to share & get familiar. I was diagnosed in 1972 at the age of 8. At that time the insulin options were lousy & the only way to check glucose was by testing urine. I’ll skip ahead to today. I take Tresiba 1X daily in the morning as my basal (long acting), and Humalog 2X daily before breakfast and dinner. I’m a light/low carb eater, and only eat a salad or veggies for lunch- so need to bolus. If I run high (over 180), I walk- which brings my glucose down almost immediately. If I’m unusually hungry at lunchtime, I will take an extra shot of Humalog and eat a “carbier” lunch. With the Dexcom G7 CGM I’m using, everything works pretty well and I’m in-range the entire day. The only time I struggle a bit is overnight - but only when I eat too few or too many carbs at dinner or after dinner.
That’s it for now, please everybody-share your regimen & feel free to ask any questions.

I take Lantus in the evening, around 9 pm, and Novolog. I was on Humalog until recently, but the assistance program that I am on just changed. I typically only have coffee with a glass of water in the morning. A light lunch (a whole wheat sandwich or a salad with protein) and a normal dinner. I wake up high when I eat after dinner, so I try not to unless it is a special occasion (birthdays, Christmas, etc). Since my husband stays up later than me, I will have him scan my Libre when I am asleep when I think I may be high or if i have had an off day and I am worried I will drop. Although, I always wake up when I am low.

Hello everyone, my name is Jeff and I am a diabetic. Now that we’ve got that out of the way, I was dx’d in mid 1972 and have always been on MDI. I’ve never considered using a pump, although I do use a CGM.
Most days are 2 doses of Semglee morning and evening roughly 12 hours apart. Humalog as bolus for meals or if I need to bring my BG down. Typically 5 shots per day - 2 long acting, 3 short acting. I use vials/syringes for the Semglee, and pens for the Humalog.

Hi Jeff, I’ve heard/read that many people on Lantus/Semglee require 2 shots per day- because it doesn’t last a full 24 hours. Please consider and speak with your doctor about trying Tresiba as your long-acting insulin, you’ll only need one shot per day. The generic non-branded name for Tresiba is Insulin Degludec, which is cheaper than Tresiba and hopefully covered under your health plan. If it’s not covered, your dr. can get it covered by submitting a medical necessity letter. We shouldn’t have to take extra injections if we don’t need to !
-Joanne

I’m Greg, diagnosed 1998 at age 13. I’m T1D on MDI Levemir & Novolog pens. I do have a CGM (Dexcom G6) but I do not like things being connected to me so I only use it if I need more data to help identify a trend or dose change. Mostly, I finger stick but sometimes I go a couple days without testing and I manage T1D largely based on how I feel. I do not remember the last time I had an A1C above 6.8. The highest I’ve had since I started insulin therapy in 1998 is 7.4. Mostly it’s mid to low 6’s. I am active - I exercise at least 5x/week (mostly cycling) with maintained, elevated heart rate, including high intensity cardio. I find that high intensity cardio changes insulin sensitivity of both Levemir and Novolog quite significantly. I do 25 units of Levemir in the morning, 10 units at night. Novolog is sliding scale currently 1 unit per 80mg for correction and 1 unit per 30g carbohydrate. My diet and schedule are inconsistent, except that I have yogurt and coffee each morning for breakfast.

I find myself focusing lately a lot on mental health related to T1D. It is nice to have a support group, and other people to chat with so I don’t feel so isolated dealing with T1D.

Hi Greg, Welcome to the conversation!
In case you’re unaware, Levemir is being discontinued by the manufacturer- see
Levemir, a Long-Acting Insulin, Will Be Discontinued – Diabetes Daily

You’ll need to switch to another long-acting insulin. I’d highly recommend Tresiba, Insulin Degludec is the non-branded (generic) name for Levemir. I was taking Levemir 2x a day for years and my Endo switched me to Tresiba about 5 years ago- it’s so much better than Levemir. Tresiba lasts 24+ hours and it’s the most stable (flat) insulin- meaning no peaks- which is important in long-acting insulin. Of course, you need to discuss this with your doctor and ask his/her recommendation.

As I get replies from others on MDI, it seems an occasional Zoom call to supplement these forum messages might be useful- please let me know if you’d be interested.

-Joanne

That is super helpful. Thank you very much. Whoa, I had no idea Levemir would observe supply disruptions almost immediately. The only reason I’m on Levemir is because my insurance stopped covering Lantus, which I was taking only 1x/day. Thank you for the recommendation on Tresiba - I will begin my research and efforts to switch insulins now.

I might be interested in a zoom call some time. Keep me posted.

Hi Greg- I just noticed a typo in my previous message to you. Insulin Degludec is the generic name for Tresiba, not for Levemir. Good luck making the switch !

Hi All,

My name is Jessica and I was diagnosed with Type 1 about 5 1/2 years ago at age 49. I use MDI and do not use a GCM. I have tried multiple times with both the Libre and the Dexcom, and found them unreliable and painful. I run and bike and find that particularly when running my BS drops very quickly. I sometimes feel like I would like to try again with the GCM, as I am sticking myself about 12 times a day to check BS, but if I use a GCM my insurance will not pay for ANY test strips. I eat a moderate carb diet and eat throughout the day, so end up injecting insulin about 7 times a day. Lately, I have been focusing on building muscle and combating osteopenia, so have been lifting weights. I cut back on the cardio recently, with the same aim.

Jess

Hi Jess. Likewise, I find running to be intense and will drop BS quickly. For me, the amount of drop and my approach to it really depends on the time of day. Like, a run in the morning before any meal or insulin (except long acting bolus type) won’t really drop my BS, but in the afternoon, for me, it will. 12 sticks sounds like a lot. Also, insurance not covering strips sounds like bad form because CGMs have a disclaimer not to use the data for treatment decisions, and to use blood test for that, which means it’s good to have both. I had a bad low BS once where the CGM read 80, but the blood was 35. I was really confused but luckily had help and a Coke nearby. All of that to say it’s good to have both.

I really liked reading all the replies to this post so far. I was diagnosed in 2020, age 33. I tried a CGM with MDI for six months, learned about trends and rates of blood sugar change, but quit b/c it was too unreliable and I was having to finger stick constantly to make sure the CGM (Dexcom G6) was correct.

I now do glucometer and MDI. It works for me. I’m home a lot. Like others have said, exercise can really drop my numbers and I use that to correct for highs (and fortunately am able to) as much if not more than using extra insulin. I take about 5 units of Lantus in the morning and 1.5 at night. This can change, and doing the two doses gives me more flexibility in adding/subtracting that day’s amount.

I only eat lunch and dinner. Interesting to see others take that strategy as well. I don’t snack or eat after dinner, and only eat extra carbs to prevent or correct a low. I try to stay over 100–anything lower and my body doesn’t handle it well. My last A1C was 5.6, and may be a bit higher at my next check, b/c I’ve had to work hard to not be so aggressive with insulin, b/c especially for a while after my diagnosis I was going low constantly and staying around 70 or 80 which I finally realized my body can’t handle (it causes long-lasting pain and muscle fatigue, and neck pain flare ups related to this other disease I have, Ehlers-Danlos).

Anyway, T1D sucks. But I’m glad to have the time and tools available to treat it. Glad to hear from other MDIers. If CGMs get a lot more accurate, at least for my body, anyway, I would try it again. For now, finger sticking is just much less stressful for me, personally (and stressful enough, anyway).